The Shellback Club officially started in February 1934 and met at Eileen Bradley’s Tea House on Adelaide Street but had its roots earlier. Starting in 1924, some of the crews of large racing sailboats from RCYC met weekly in the summer to organize crew duties.
By 1934, these crew meetings had morphed into The Shellback Club as other sailors from Clubs in the area liked the idea of sharing lunch and sailing lore...and even singing a shanty.
Today, the Shellbacks meet weekly in the non-sailing season at the RCYC, 141 St. George Street. We start promptly at 1215 hours and finish about 1330 – 1345 hours. The guest speaker starts about 1245 hours. Come early to enjoy the company and a beverage.
To be a “Shellback” today only requires attending a lunch meeting and joining everyone in singing a sea shanty.