Richard returned to Shellbacks bringing all his many years of experience sailing the globe to this presentation.
Condensing his most valuable lessons learned on extensive cruising, often in the most challenging conditions, Richard's top-level view of the primary considerations when starting cruising were insightful and valuable.
Richard Hudson's web site on his travels aboard "Issuma", his 15m (50') steel staysail schooner: https://www.issuma.com/
About Richard Hudson
• Richard has about 80,000 miles of sailing experience, including a circumnavigation of the Americas.
• Richard is originally from Toronto, and began sailing at the age of 13 in lug-rigged, converted lifeboats. He followed this venture by going through the Toronto Brigantine program (he was a Watch Officer on Pathfinder).
• He lived for five years in Yukon & NWT, fifteen years in New York City.
• Richard has a lot of experience with both sailing and maintenance:
◦ He refitted and sailed a 35' steel gaff-rigged schooner, Orbit II, along eastern US, Bahamas, Canada, Ireland, England, Scotland, Iceland.
◦ He restored a classic, gaff-rigged schooner, Rosemary Ruth, and sailed along eastern US.
◦ He flew to France, bought a 50' steel staysail schooner, Issuma, refitted and sailed her over 55,000 miles from France to Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, to USA, Canada, Greenland, through the Northwest Passage then south to British Columbia, Mexico, Easter Island, Chile, Antarctica, South Africa, Namibia, St Helena, USA and Newfoundland.
◦ In 2013, Richard was awarded The Rambler Medal by the Ocean Cruising Club. The award is given for the most challenging voyage made by a member of the Club. He received it for his shorthanded voyage through the Northwest Passage.
◦ He made a short YouTube video last year about the chilly fun of sailing a Grampian 26 from Pickering on New Years Day.
Richard Hudson has previously shared with Shellbacks stories of his voyages to Brazil, Antarctica, Easter Island, Patagonia and the Northwest Passage.
The Shellback Club will make occasional posts on this blog. If you want something added in a blog post. let us know.