Ron Jenkins spoke on the topic of airport expansion at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport. While the jets and runway extension proposal (often called "Porter Plans") was stopped when the federal government under Transport Minister Marc Garneau decided to not make changes to the Tripartite Agreement governing airport operations, PortsToronto (the owner/operator of the airport) has nonetheless pursued other expansion plans.
Numerous airport expansion initiatives have been undertaken and continue:
• 30 Bay Street Office Tower (announced March 28, 2012 – ongoing)
• Pedestrian Tunnel (opened July 30, 2015)
• US Customs Pre-Clearance (announced March 10, 2016 – ongoing)
• Airfield Rehabilitation Project (announced June 8, 2016 – ongoing to 2018)
• Ground Run-up Enclosure (announced June 8, 2016 – ongoing to 2017)
• Terminal Expansion (announced October 13, 2016 – ongoing)
These projects are within PortsToronto's jurisdiction, being outside the Tripartite Agreement governing airport operations, so they can proceed without the City or Federal approval that would be needed to make changes to the Agreement. In sum, they represent active airport expansion at BBTCA.
The Shellbacks Club will make occasional posts on this blog. If you want something added in a blog post. let us know.