On the first day of summer, the Shellbacks travelled to Wasaga Beach and toured the Nancy Island Historical site. The Nancy, a two masted schooner built in 1789, was pressed into service for Britain in the War of 1812. Discovered hidden in the Nottawasaga River by American warships it was shelled and destroyed by fire. Its remains were left in the river, silting over and only rediscovered in 1927. The recovered remains form the basis of the Nancy Island Historical site.
After touring the site, the group headed to the Catch 22 restaurant, for an excellent lunch. Thanks to Dianne Leggatt for organizing a great expedition!
Many moons and tides ago whilst Allan Rae was Skipper of Shellback gatherings (possibly at the National Yacht Club at the time) many of the crew expressed a desire to meet informally for lunch during the soft water season. It was suggested that Mimico would be a good venue ... perhaps by Sir Charles Leggatt, himself. . .
And thus it was made so ... and has been since!
Inspired by British history ... and its many truncations/iterations of fact and fiction (1066 and all that) . . . Mr. Rae called the assembled group the Shellback "RUMP". This title was received with mixed emotions until Bob Bleasby determined that the term was an acronym for: "Really Unique Maritime Personalities".
Mr. Rae had the temerity to alter this definition slightly to: "Relatively Unique Maritime Personalities"
... as all things are really relative ... and so it held.
Where: Mimico Cruising Club
200 Humber Bay Park Road West
Toronto, Ontario M8V 3X7
Tel: (416) 252-7737
When: Wednesdays, 1130 hours to whenever
Dates: May 17th to October 11th
Shellbacks final luncheon of the year had Stephen and Fran Hill's presentation of the first part of their travel around the Down East Circle Route. Starting on Georgian Bay in their 37 foot Nordic tug, the Hills, along with two other boats, headed down the St. Lawrence and around and about New Brunswick, PEI, and Nova Scotia before leaving their boat to winter in Maine. They will continue next summer.
Along the way, they spent lots of time exploring the history of their ports of call, and Stephen supplied many details and photos in his talk.
Finishing the Down East Circle will take the Hills down the New England coast and up the Hudson to Ontario. We look forward to hearing the second leg of their travels next year.
You can see Stephen's presentation at the links below.
Many more details from the travels of the Hills' boat "Tug'n" can be found at their blog: http://adventuresoffranandstephen.blogspot.ca/.
The Shellbacks will be making a day excursion on June 21 to Wasaga Beach to visit a museum commemorating "The Nancy", a schooner from the War of 1812. Please contact Dianne to confirm your interest if you plan to go.
Date: Wednesday June 21st, 2016
Museum arrival time: ~1030 hours
Tour: 1100 hours
Lunch: 1230 hours
Museum address: 119 Mosley Street, Wasaga Beach
Museum tel.: 705-429-2516
RSVP to Dianne Leggatt
h: 416 486 6025 e: 416 998 8057
THE NANCY – WASAGA BEACH – SUNK 1812
11-22nd Street North Wasaga Beach, Ontario L9Z 2V9 705-429-2516
School and Special Interest Groups
The Natural Heritage Education (NHE) staff are available in the spring, summer, and fall seasons to provide educational programming for school groups (JK to grade 12) and special interest groups. NHE staff will customize with you, your class or groups program to coordinate with current areas of study/interest.
Programs are customized to individual classes/groups needs in one or several themes depending on the allotted time. The park educational areas of expertise are listed below and all park programs relate to one or more of the following themes.
• Beach Ecosystems - from the Bay to the Banks
• The Dunes - Survival and Adaptation
• The Dunes - Hot, Dry & Alive
• Research, Monitoring and Recovery - Eastern Hog-nose Snake
• Research, Monitoring and Recovery - Piping Plover
• The War of 1812 - Battles of the Red Coats
• The War of 1812 - First Nation Allies
• The War of 1812 - The Life & Times of Lt. Miller Worsley
• Guided tours of Nancy Island Historic Site with musket demonstrations
• Schooner Town - Naval Establishment on the Nottawasaga River
• The Lumber Trade in the 1800s
• Trail of the Caribou & Aviation History
• Wasaga Beach - from the beginning to now!
To book an Educational Program or Tour of Nancy Island Historic Site please call the Natural Heritage Education Coordinator at 705-429-2516. Interested parties are advised to inquire early to ensure your school/group needs can be properly met.
THE WAR OF 1812 AND THE HMS NANCY
The Nancy ©Wasaga Beach Provincial Park
This is the story of the Nancy, a schooner which sailed the Upper Great Lakes as a private cargo vessel in the fur trade. During the War of 1812, the HMS Nancy was pressed into service as a British supply ship. While in this service, the schooner was destroyed in the Nottawasaga River by American Forces.
The sunken hull of the Nancy formed an obstruction in the river and an island was established by the resultant deposition of silt and sand. The remains of the hull now rest in a museum on the island to mark the site of the Nancy's demise and to commemorate her gallant defense.
The Nancy was built in 1789 at the British port of Detroit. The construction of the Schooner was under the supervision of John Richardson of Montreal's Richardson, Forsyth and Company. There was likely no set plans for the construction; however, it has been determined that the schooner's length was approximately 80 feet, width (or beam) 22 feet, and depth of hold, eight feet. John Richardson wrote to his partner from Detroit in 1789:
"The schooner will be a perfect masterpiece of workmanship and beauty. The expense to us will be great, but there will be the satisfaction of her being strong and very durable. Her floor-timbers, keel, keel-son, stem, and lower futtocks are oak. The transom, stern-post, upper futtocks, top-timbers, beams, and knees are all red cedar. She will carry 350 barrels."
The figurehead on the vessel was a carving "of a lady dressed in the present fashion, and with a hat and feather" done by Skelling of New York. The Nancy was likely named for either the wife or daughter of John Richardson.
The schooner was built for the fur trade which she served by carrying goods including food, clothing, rum, meat, powder, blankets, tools, trinkets, weapons, and ammunition up the lakes and then returning with furs. At this time, there were two main ports in the West. Sault Ste. Marie governed access to Lake Superior and the North. Further west, in the Straits of Mackinaw, Fort Mackinac was a trading post, which commanded Lake Huron, Lake Michigan, and the West. This was the center of activity for the northern Great Lakes and the Northwest and was maintained by the French as early as 1687. In 1761, the British were the first to build proper fortifications around the Fort.
The launching of the Nancy took place at Detroit on November 24, 1789. In the following spring, under the command of Captain William Mills, her maiden voyage took her to Fort Erie. After the launching, John Richardson wrote:
"She is spoken of here in such high strain of encomium as to beauty, stowage and sailing that she almost exceeds my expectations."
In June 1790, the Nancy took a full cargo load to Grand Portage at Sault Ste. Marie. In 1793, the schooner was sold to George Leith and Company who were merchants and fur traders. The vessel was then sold to the North West Fur Company toward the end of the century. Captain Mills continued as commander until 1805 when he was succeeded by Captain Alexander Mackintosh. In the service of the North West Fur Company, the Nancy's function remained as a transportation vessel for fur and merchandise on Lake Erie, Lake Huron, and Lake Michigan.
When the United States declared war in 1812 against Britain, the Nancy was lying at Macintosh's wharf at Moy (Windsor) across from Detroit. For protection, the Nancy was immediately moved to Amherstburg and was requisitioned as a British transport by Lieutenant-Colonel St. George, commander of the garrison.
In Colonel Matthews Wlliot's inventory to General Isaac Brock, the Nancy was described as capable of mounting six, four- pound carriage guns and six swivel guns.
At this time there were three main routes from Montreal to the Northwest. One route was via the Ottawa and French Rivers and Georgian Bay; another was by way of Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, Lake St. Clair, and Lake Huron. A third route was overland from Lake Ontario at York (Toronto) north on Yonge Street to Holland Landing and the Holland River. From here, the route entered Lake Simcoe and led to the head of Kempenfeldt Bay (Barrie) where Nine Mile Portage led to Willow Creek, the Nottawasaga River, and Lake Huron. The latter route became the main supply line during the last year of the war.
The Nancy's first war service took her, on July 30, 1812, to Fort Erie in convoy with the Provincial Schooner, Lady Prevost. The purpose was to collect military stores and 60 men of the 41st Regiment who participated in Brock's capture of Detroit from General Hull. During the summer and early autumn, the Nancy was employed constantly on Lake Erie between Detroit and Fort Erie in the transportation of stores and provisions.
On April 23, 1813, the Nancy was included in a small squadron to transport General Proctor's division from Amherstburg to Miami Bay for the unsuccessful attack on Fort Meigs. In the autumn, while the Nancy was away at Fort Mackinac, the British Fleet was decisively defeated in the Battle of Lake Erie, leaving the Nancy as the sole surviving British ship on the Upper Lakes.
The Nancy Escapes
Returning in the Nancy to the mouth of the St. Clair River on October 5, Captain Mackintosh found Detroit and Amherstburg in American hands, and two armed schooners and a gunboat lying in wait for him. At noon on the following day, the Nancy was under attack. Despite some damage from the battering, she survived to escape into Lake Huron. By October 7, Mackintosh had her under sail to Sault Ste. Marie, where she wintered and was refitted.
After the Battle of Lake Erie, the Americans planned to recapture Fort Mackinac, which they had lost on July 17, 1812. The Fort, with no naval defenses, required reinforcements and in February 1814, McDougall's relief party of 10 officers, 220 infantry and artillerymen, and 20 seamen left Kingston for the Fort. They arrived via the Lake Simcoe and Nottawasaga River route on May 18, 1814. To aid in the defense of Fort Mackinac, there were plans for the Nancy to be designed as a gunboat; however, this idea was discarded and the British schooner continued as a transport vessel. During that spring, the Nancy made three round trips from the Fort to the mouth of the Nottawasaga River for supplies. While the Nancy was away on the fourth trip to the Nottawasaga supply base, the American Fleet left Detroit on July 3, 1814 for the attack on Fort Mackinac. At the Nottawasaga base, the Nancy was moved two miles up the river under the command of Lieutenant Miller Worsley, Royal Navy. Here, quietly hidden and protected by a blockhouse, the Nancy waited.
On August 14, three American ships, Niagara, Tigress and Scorpion, under the command of Captain Sinclair, arrived at the mouth of the Nottawasaga River to wait for the British schooner which was thought to be on route from Fort Mackinac. It was only when wood gathering parties from the American ships happened upon the Nancy in her hiding spot that the secret was revealed.
The engagement was brief and decisive. Lieutenant Worsley's force consisted of 22 seamen and 23 Ojibway under the command of Lieutenant Ramsay Livingston and nine French Canadian Voyageurs. Their armament was composed of two 24-pounder charades and one six-pounded. The American force of three ships, and 500 men armed with 18 32-pounder carronades, three long 12-pounders, two 24-pounders and one 5.5 inch howitzer provided formidable odds. Captain Sinclair anchored his ships in the Bay and proceeded to pound the Nancy and the blockhouse across the narrow neck of land, which separated the river from the bay.
The situation was hopeless. Lieutenant Worsley decided to destroy the Nancy rather than allow her to fall into enemy hands. However, during the preparations for blowing up the schooner, a direct hit on the blockhouse set the Nancy afire. She burned to the waterline and sank. The British force escaped into the forest where they were not pursued.
After the action, the Scorpion and Tigress were left to guard the river to prevent canoes and bateaux from getting supplies to Fort Mackinac. Eventually the river mouth was blocked with felled trees and the ships proceeded along the north shore in the hope of intercepting fur-laden canoes on the lake.
The Nancy Avenged
On August 31, Worsley and his men, after paddling and rowing for 360 miles, reached Mackinac. En route, they had quietly bypassed the Tigress and Scorpion. On September 3, Worsley and 92 men in four rowboats returned to surprise and capture the Tigress at midnight in Detour Passage. On the following day, the Scorpion was lured into position and also captured. Both vessels were then taken to Fort Mackinac. The Scorpion was renamed Confiance in honour of the ship which was captured from the French by Commodore Sir James Lucas Yeo. The Tigress was renamed Surprise for the manner in which she was captured.
After the war the Admiral awarded the North West Fur Company 2,200 pounds in compensation for the Nancy. In addition to this, 500 pounds was awarded for the two round trips between Detroit and Fort Erie in 1812, and for service in 1813 and 1814, 1,243 pounds, 5 shillings.
Gradually, the river currents deposited silt and sand about the sunken hull and an island was formed. On July 1, 1911, Mr. C.J.H. Snider found the location of the hull which was just visible beneath the water. It was not until August 1924, when an American 24-pounder round shot was found in the riverbank by Dr. F.J. Conboy that interest was renewed. During the summer of 1925, the long-covered hull was found by Dr. Conboy whose interest in the Nancy had been aroused by Mr. Snider.
The Dominion and Provincial Governments as well as many individuals became interested in the historic site, and in 1928 the hull was raised and placed on the island. On August 14, 1928, 114 years after the gallant defense of the Nancy, the Nancy Museum was officially opened to commemorate this episode in the War of 1812.
For those interested in getting lunch after the museum, we will be meeting at the Catch 22 restaurant. The restaurant details and menu are below.
Another Shellback of note is Herb Hilgenberg, who for over 25 years operated as a Guardian Angel to crews of thousands of ocean-going yachts and commercial vessels, guiding up to 75 vessels per day, 7 days a week, as they transited the Atlantic Ocean. Herb kept many sailors away from dangerous storms and severe weather systems, thereby avoiding loss of life, property damage and mental anguish.
Herb provided ship routing and weather forecasting for vessels on the high seas from his fixed HF marine land station VAX498 (the NET) from 1987 until 2013 and while the NET, which operated daily for over 25 years until June 2013, is now closed, Herb may be available to assist vessels in difficulties while en-route, by contacting him via email/phone.
He is known all over the world among seafarers and was a reliable source of information and assistance in rescue situations coordinated by the United States, Canadian, and United Kingdom Coast Guard/Rescue Coordination Centers.
RECOGNITIONS AND AWARDS
1993 SSCA Seven Seas Service Award
1994 Community Service Award for Service to Sailors, Government of Bermuda
1997 Cruising Club of America Plaque for Service to Newport Bermuda Yacht Races,
1998 U.K Ocean Cruising Club Award of Merit Medal,
1999 SSCA South Bound II Blue Water Sailing Service Award
2000 Canadian Coast Guard RCC Halifax, Plaque, Contribution to Search&Rescue
2002 Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal
2004 The Royal Cruising Club "Medal for Service to Cruisers", United Kingdom
2012 SSCA Seven Seas Award
2013 U.S. Coast Guard 5th District RCC Norfolk Oar-plaque for faithful and dedicated Service
2013 2nd U.K Ocean Cruising Club Award of Merit
2013 United States Coast Guard Meritorious Public Service Award
More details on Herb's service are at: http://www3.sympatico.ca/hehilgen/vax498.htm
Congratulations to Victor Wejer for being honoured with the 2016 Ocean Cruising Club Award of Merit!
The Ocean Cruising Club recognized the enormous contributions Victor has made to Arctic cruising. We're proud to have him as a Shellback!
Details on the awards ceremony can be found below.
Aubrey and Judith Millard described their cruising in an overview that covered perhaps 10 years of virtually non-stop travels around the Caribbean, North America, the Atlantic, the Mediterranean, the Baltic, the Black Sea, and all these places in fine detail. There seems to be no harbour or island that these two have not explored.
The leisurely pace of their peregrinations enabled them to spend at times months in a place, such as London or Paris. Visiting these places by boat -- in their case, their Ontario 32, Veleda IV.
The Millard's web site has detailed descriptions of their adventures.
The Eddystone Light has a long history off the south coast of England, guiding navigators for hundreds of years. The current Eddystone Light is the fifth on the location.
Jim took the Shellbacks through the history of this great piece of marine architecture. from 1698 to the present, with lots of information on its advances in engineering and design over the decades.
The day's presentations were filled out with a viewing of two segments in the "Distant Shores" series by Paul and Cheryl Shard, Canadian adventure cruisers and documentary filmmakers. The segments were parts of the Shards' travels through the canals of France on their 42 foot "Distant Shores II".
The Distant Shores DVD series and web site can be found at http://www.distantshores.ca/.
Information and Upcoming Events
WHERE: ASHBRIDGES BAY YACHT CLUB, Coxwell & Lakeshore Blvd
WHEN: 4th Thursday in September, October, November, January, February, March
TIME: 1830 Sailor's Dinner; 1930 Tech Speaker; 2000 Main Speaker
All are welcome in a network for cruising info & experiences. Free Parking
Thu 23 March 2017
1930: Tech: Richard & Margaret Mair
INTO THE BLUE: PLANS CHANGE
When we replaced the diesel in our Alberg 30 with an electric motor, coming up the St Lawrence was not on our radar. We had planned to cruise the east coast and enjoy warmer climes further south. But then we decided to come back to Toronto. And as we started to plan the trip it occurred to us that the St Lawrence might be the better way for us to travel. And thereby hangs a tale — or several.
2015 Main: Richard Hudson
A VOYAGE TO ANTARCTICA
This is part of Richard Hudson's circumnavigation of the Americas on the 15m/50' steel, centerboard schooner, Issuma.
Thu 28 Sept 2017
Aubrey & Judy Millard
Living the Dream: The Yucatan and Central America
Our trip through the Yucatan of Mexico to Belize, Guatemala, and Honduras. Archacological ruins of the Mayans, exotic birds and animals in Guatemala, diving scencs from Roatan (Honduras), and preparations for trucking Veleda from Texas to Washington on the west coast.
CONTACT INFORMATION FOR THE WORLD CRUISING CLUB
Tel: 416-535-3319, 416-409-4089
Address: 338 Howland Ave, Toronto, ON, M5R 3B9
Note: Due to using email, yearly membership is $20/single, $25/couple
Single meeting is $5. The funds are for the speaker's dinner.
Carolyn O’Neil spoke to Shellbacks about Great Lakes Awareness and recent policies with respect to the lakes. Water extraction, pollution, invasive species and other challenges face the Great Lakes, and Carolyn laid out clearly what the challenges mean and where things might be headed in the future.
ABOUT CAROLYN O'NEILL
Carolyn works for Ontario’s Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change. She is the Manager of the Great Lakes Office for that Ministry. Her job is to advance Great Lakes policy including Ontario’s Great Lakes Strategy, the Great Lakes Protection Act and Great Lakes agreements. Prior to joining the Ministry, Carolyn was with Environment Canada where she worked on programs to protect the Great Lakes and the Fraser River in British Columbia.
The Shellbacks Club will make occasional posts on this blog. If you want something added in a blog post. let us know.